About our Certificate in Corporate Governance
The aim of this course is to provide grounding on the principles of good public sector corporate governance. These relate to transparency, accountability, responsibility, leadership, integrity and commitment. Given the commitment in Transforming Public Services to a more integrated and cohesive public service and a new Senior Public Service (SPS), the programme will elaborate on these principles, assess their importance in public sector organisations, and examine how the proposed changes are likely to affect governance arrangements.
Formal training programmes in Corporate Governance are needed to provide a learning structure within which attendees learn to develop a “healthy” understanding of good corporate governance practice.
The aim of this course is to equip those involved in public sector bodies with a clear understanding of corporate governance in a public sector context. This includes the management of the relationships between central departments and other public bodies as well as central tenets of good corporate governance that apply regardless of whether an organisation is publicly or privately owned.
Following the successful completion of the course, attendees will have acquired an understanding of effective corporate governance. On completion of the course, graduates will understand:
- What is meant by corporate governance
- How corporate governance has developed in the public sector and in the private sector
- The 2016 Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies and developments since then
- How the principles of corporate governance can be applied to public sector organisations generally
- The impact of good corporate governance on the culture of organisations
- The practical operational benefits that ought to result from the application of the principles
- Consequences of bad corporate governance for the public sector
- The accountability process for public sector organisations
- Understanding and implementing the legislative and regulatory framework
- Risk assessment and mitigation of risks
- Understand risk management and be able to apply it to an organisation
- How to carry out an internal audit
- Overview of future trends in corporate governance
The intended audience is for those involved in the supervision, management, operation or control of public sector bodies. In particular the course will hold a practical appeal for attendees from the civil service, state agencies and bodies, universities and local authorities. It is also of value and interest to specialists, officers, directors and officials at all grades who require knowledge of effective corporate governance and who wish to progress their careers.
The Course is accredited by the Institute of Commercial Management – Public Affairs Ireland is an ICM accredited Professional Development Training Centre and is authorised to deliver ICM approved training and development programmes leading to CPD Awards accredited by the Institute of Commercial Management.
Did you know?
PAI offer all of our courses as In-House programmes. For more information, see our page on In-House Training.