Organisations have a legal obligation to ensure that recruitment and selection practices are free from discrimination. The Employment Equality Acts 1998–2015 outlaw discrimination in recruitment and selection on nine grounds – age, gender, family status, civil status, disability, religion, race, sexual orientation and membership of the travelling community.
Public sector organisations also must comply with the Public Sector Equality and Human Rights Duty (Section 42 Irish Human Rights and Equality Act, 2014) to promote equality and prevent discrimination.
This training programme focuses on developing the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to ensure equality in recruitment and selection.
Understanding recruitment and selection (R&S) and the legal requirements
Developing an effective approach to R&S:
- understanding the role and impact of unconscious bias
- recruitment channels and selection techniques
- ensuring validity, reliability and suitability in the interview process
- equality proofing role requirements and documents
Structuring and conducting interviews:
- structure, format and note taking
- preparing and equality proofing selection interview questions
- the role/responsibilities of interview board members
- effective questioning techniques
- assessment/scoring and record keeping.
Who Should Attend?
This training programme will be of particular interest to HR professionals, hiring managers and interview board members. It can also be delivered as an in-house programme for interview boards or HR teams.
How is this programme delivered?
It is a highly interactive online training session, including facilitated group discussions on legal/HR requirements and case law, breakout room exercises, and mock interview scenarios based on case studies/questions. Handouts are also provided during and after the online training session to reinforce and build learning.
Your course tutor
Sile O’Donnell is a HR consultant and trainer with 27 years’ experience working in a range of HR roles in the public sector, including a number of roles at HR Director level. She is also an Adjunct Associate Professor in Organisational Behaviour, HRM and Organisation Development in Trinity College Dublin. Prior to setting up her own business, she was an Assistant National Director of HR in the HSE, with responsibility for recruitment. She is an expert in recruitment and she has delivered training and consultancy to numerous public bodies including the following:
- open and in-house training programmes on behalf of PAI since 2014 on topics including equality in interviewing, equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI), training and coaching interviewees, accredited HR and change management programmes
- review, development and design of EDI policies
- development of recruitment and selection equality guides
- provision of expert advice in relation to equality complaints
- seminars, webinars and conference presentations on EDI
- chairing of and participation in numerous public sector interview boards
Her career profile can be viewed at www.sileodonnell.ie
Full Course Details
Title: Ensuring Equality in Recruitment and Selection
Date: Thursday, September 1st 2022
Time: 9.45am – 1.00pm
CPD: 3 CPD Hours
Method of Delivery: Online
All of our open programmes can also be run on an in-house basis. For more information, see our page on In-House Training.
Multiple Delegate Discount
3+ Delegates – 5% Discount
5+ Delegates – 10% Discount
10+ Delegates – 15% Discount
To avail of our multiple delegate discount for 3 or more delegates, you must email email@example.com with the name and details of all those you wish to book. All those you wish to book on must be booked at the same time.
For 1 or 2 attendees, manually enter in the number of tickets you wish to purchase below.