Minister for Finance, Michael Noonan TD, has today announced the appointment of members to the Credit Union Restructuring Board (ReBo).
The ReBo was established following the Report of the Commission on Credit Unions published in April of this year and aims to facilitate and support the restructuring of Credit Unions.
Former Chair of the World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU), Bobby McVeigh, was appointed Chair of the Board. Mr McVeigh has over 40 years experience in the international credit union system having served on more than 20 Boards in the public, private and non-profit sectors and overseen the restructuring of the credit union sector in Canada.
Also appointed to the Board were:
- Mr Eoin McGettigan, of McGetigan and Associates and current Chair of Clerys
- Mr Tom Kavanagh,founding partner of kavanaghfennell and author of “A Practical Guide to Insolvency”
- Mr Brendan Burke, former Chief Operations Officer with Rabobank in Ireland and the Netherlands
- Ms Kathleen Prendergast, member of the national Social Enterprise Task Force and the Board of the Social Finance Foundation
- Mr Stephen O’Donovan,Chartered Certified Accountant and volunteer Treasurer in the credit union sector
- Mr Joe O’Toole,founder member and Director of Comhar Linn, the INTO Credit Union
- Mr Pat Fay, Irish League of Credit Unions
- Mr Jimmy Johnstone, Irish League of Credit Unions
- Mr Tim Molan, Credit Union Managers Association
- Mr Kevin Johnson, Credit Union Development Association
- Mr Neil Ryan, Assistant Secretary, Financial Services Division, Department of Finance
- Ms Elaine Byrne, Deputy Head, Registrar of Credit Unions
The ReBo will be in place until December 31, 2015 and is being set up on an administrative basis pending the enactment of the Credit Union Bill 2012, after which it will become a statutory body.